Tuesday, March 23, 2010

When Love Finds You

There's a song called "When Love Finds You" by Garth Brooks.  Was listening to it today...so perfect for where I find myself right now. 

Couple of months ago I wrote about my breakup with a wonderful guy.  His name is Steve.  I said that we had 80% good in our relationship but the other 20% was in the most important areas; the areas that make up the foundation of any relationship.  After what seemed a downward spiral into conflict, I had decided it was best to walk away, and I did--for 2 months.  From that point on in late January, I wavered between trying to erase Steve from my heart and asking God, my guides, the universe...everyone...what it was about me that was making it so difficult to be in the relationship. 

Seems the universe has a way to ensuring that those who are supposed to be together, find their way back.  We live about a mile from each other and I kept seeing his car at least once a week.  What's interesting about this is that I had only seen him once in the previous 18 months after he sold me my house.  Steve was my realtor...and a very good one, I must say.   About a month into our break up, I found myself missing him terribly...I began going to the coffee shop across the parking lot from his office just so I could feel the comfort of knowing he was close by. 

Steve and I had begun doing voluteer work before we broke up.   We started with the Salvation Army...volunteering was one of the things that really impressed me about Steve.  Wouldn't you know it we ended up right next to each other as table coordinators for the SA's "Million Meals for Haiti" event.  Once again, it felt so good to be near him even if we didn't connect. 

After 2 months of asking and looking for the mirror in the things that irritated me, I finally found it, or rather, them.   It's interesting how once you recognize your own behavior in that of another, the irritation melts away and love resurfaces in its place.  I sent Steve a video message--they are so cool--this past Saturday.   I told him how I felt and apologized for my actions.  It was frightening...what if he didn't care anymore or was so angry he didn't want to see me again?  Fortunately that wasn't the case; we reconciled the next day.  When love finds you, it doesn't let go and being forgiving, will allow you to find your way.  I'm so grateful that Steve's heart didn't let go of mine.

5 comments:

Oval said...

If the universe is determined for spirits to be together, what's the point in being the captain of one's ship? Isn't a part of being responsible taking credit for both the errors and the victories one make?

Ethan said...

This is great news Jelaila (For both of you im sure), I had a feeling it was not the end. Thanks for sharing this story

Anonymous said...

There is one thing I have been trying to tell myself for years .I am fascinated with the minuet possibilities that my angel has fluffy hair and a gooffy smile .I dont live near him or serve on any boards with him .In fact I am not even sure if he has a car or knows that when I was sixteen I had braces.In fact he probally has horrible table manners .And chews with his mouth open and laughs til he kinda starts spitting on you .I think he may even drull when he sleeps .Hes kinda short and not very ambitious .... I guess love comes in funny packaging .Oh well .....

La Lettre De Salah Benyoussef said...

I am happy for you two and that Love finds you. Salah.

Kara said...

I just read this. When I met Steve, I had this notion the two of you would be together. Wow. Tell him I said hello. I spent some time with him looking at houses in that area and he is a truly amazing man. I am so happy for you both.

~Kara