Thursday, February 25, 2010

Dogs

I'm into dogs...I'm into cats, too but I've become a dog lover since having obtained one back in 2005.  I've had them before but never really understood what it meant to be a dog lover and owner until 2005.  From the moment I brought my new puppy home...a small beagle I named Gracie Mai, I made just about every mistake you can make. 

Needless to say that my little pup went from balanced to a mess in just a few short weeks.  Too much cuddle time, we treated her like a baby, and too lap time turned her into an anxious, stressed out and fearful little girl.  It was only when I discovered Cesar Milan, the dog whisperer, did I get a clue as to how to rehabilitate her and train myself!  It took about 2 months of patience, love, discipline...for both of us, as consistency but my daughter and I managed to resolve most of her seperation anxiety.  She was peeing and pooping her in crate and screaming/barking/whining for hours! 

We got her neice, Lucy Bell 8 months later...we didn't make the same mistakes.

Since then I've found someone else whom I feel is very sharp when it comes to dogs, Earl Newland...the dog shaman.  He is a behaviorist more than a traininer and raises American Tundra Shepards...these dogs are only 1 or 2 crosses away from a wolf.  You have to be a strong pack leader for them or they will "eat your lunch."  Earl's latest blog post on dog parks echos my thoughts exactly.  I found them a hazardous place for small dogs especially as people and dogs run up to and harass them.  I've seen numerous small dogs...and big ones, ganged up on by bigger dogs too full of energy and therefore unbalanced.  I highly recommend reading his info.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jelaila - Would you be so kind as to share the link to Earl's blog? Can't seem to find it on a google search. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I would like to read Earl's blog too. I have never taken my dogs to a dogpark, we live in the country and there are three of them, with lots of run outside, so we just do our own. But there is always some tip to pick up here and there from dog trainers. I like Victoria Stillwell, with It's Me or the Dog, on Animal Planet. She has some common sense advice overall.

Ryan Kasten said...

I've been having some similar experiences with my two dogs as well. I had to realize that I couldn't just shower them with attention all the time because they were more stressed out when I didn't or I wasn't home. Having two 130+lb puppys can be dangerous for your home lol. They are very well behaved now but still have issues with small dogs or cats. They still think they are small dogs and want to pounce and play which isnt very fun for the smaller dog heh. I'd like to read the info as well if someone locates it.